I made it to the Motherland safely. I've been here for less than 24 hours, and I've already been to two yarn stores. After picking up my rental car this morning (I scored a free upgrade from a boring mid-size sedan to a Jeep Liberty), I went to Yarnzilla in Minnetonka. I think that Yarnzilla is an excellent name for a yarn store, but the store itself was a little weird. First of all, the location was really strange. It's in an office park, and it seems more like the sort of place where you might go to the dentist than an LYS. I gathered that they do most of their business online, and they do have an impressive array of stuff on their website. Because their retail space is small, they only have one skein of everything out and you have to ask them to go get you what want. For some reason, this makes it less fun for me. There's something more satisfying about a store with skeins and skeins of yarn. Aside from these small complaints, I enjoyed Yarnzilla very much. There was a young woman working there who left me to wander around and touch things without bothering me. She also had the new Regina Spektor album playing and now I'm going to have to get that.
After Yarnzilla, I decided to stop into Neeldework Unlimited in Minneapolis. This store is one of my favorites. It's huge and it has almost everything. I have a ton of yarn at home in Texas that I need to knit, so instead of buying yarn, I bought a Mountain Colors sock pattern that's meant to be knit with yarn I already have. Perfect. I almost bought a second pattern and skein of Mountain Goat to go with it, but I managed to control myself and get out of there with just the one pattern. I'll be here for several more days, so I may end up back in there.
At some point during my travels, Janna tagged me for this meme, so here goes...
THE RULES: Each player of this game starts with the '6 weird things about you.' People who get tagged need to write a blog post of their own 6 weird things as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don't forget to leave a comment that says you are tagged in their comments and tell them to read your blog.
There are so many weird things about me that it's hard to know where to begin...
1. I generally have trouble sleeping the night before a trip, but I really can't sleep if I haven't packed or at least started to pack. I also find it hard to sleep if I have to get up early for any reason. I tend to worry that I won't wake up, so I guess my solution is not to sleep.
2. No matter where we are or who we are with, my husband and I address each other solely as "Bob." It's really spelled Bab and pronounced in a Minnesota accent so it sounds more like Bob, hence this spelling for the blog. When we write it out in a note or on a card or something, we spell it Bab.
3. I have freakishly long arms and legs. The other night after riding my bike to the drug store and back, Bob came into the house and said "You are a freak!". I calmly asked him why, and he said that although he is 6'1'' and I'm just shy of 5'8", he has trouble reaching the pedals on my bike. My very long legs and my fairly average height mean that my body is teeny, so when I'm sitting down, I'm short.
4. I tend to feel slightly panicked when I'm without a water bottle. Bob calls my water my "ounces" because I need to drink many ounces a day or I'll freak out. The other day I was on my way to a rehearsal when I realized I'd left my water on the kitchen counter. I promptly pulled into a gas station to amend the situation and all was well.
5. Most of the people reading this won't find this weird at all, but anyone who doesn't knit finds it very strange that I have a dresser completely full of yarn in my yarn room. Yes, I have a yarn room, which is sometimes doubles as a viola room, but more often it is a yarn room. I also have a big plastic storage bin in the closet for the overflow (of yarn, not violas).
6. This last one is a little embarrassing...Bob and I have seen every episode of 7th Heaven. It started with Bob's obsession with Jessica Biel and then it somehow took on a life of its own. Jessica Biel hasn't been on the show in several seasons, yet we continue to watch it even though at times, it's painfully bad. The WB allegedly canceled the show after 10 seasons last spring, and then changed their minds and ordered an 11th season. It was recently picked up for all 22 episodes and there are 11 more to go. Someday we will be free of 7th Heaven.
I'm supposed to tag 6 people, so I'm tagging Kitty, Charlie, Shalini, Pretty, Allegra, and Dan. Feel free not to do this if its not your cup of tea, or if you've already done something similar. I just didn't want to leave this last bit out. Enjoy!